Monday, September 28, 2009

Homemade Crayons

While Isaac was napping one day, Joel and I revamped some of his old, broken crayons.

We grabbed our muffin tin and sprayed with oil. We didn't have the mini muffin tin, so we used a regular. But in the end, it was too big.

Joel breaking the colors and putting them in the tin. He started out separating colors, but didn't know what to do once he ran out of places, so in the end they all got mixed.
Photobucket

Ready for the oven.
Photobucket

300 degrees. About 8 minutes. (Make sure they are completely melted. Ours didn't and broke in half when we were done because there were still crayons inside)
Photobucket

Put in the freezer 15-30 minutes.
Photobucket

Turn over onto the table. They should just slide out.
Photobucket

Joel trying to decide which color he wanted to use.
Photobucket

Trying for the orange. Which he just couldn't get to work...
Photobucket

All in all the project was good. I can't wait till we get more old crayons that we can do this with. The next time I'll try to get the smaller tins and make sure we keep similar colors together so Joel doesn't get frustrated because he can't get to his favorite color.

1 comments:

wheelercreations said...

That sounds like something I should do with Jeremiah and Danica on our day off in October! Thanks for sharing how you did it! I would have no idea how long to do it, and to put it into the freezer! :)